Story Lab Week 14

Danger of the single story. Chimamanda used her experience of growing up in Nigeria in a happy home. She realized when she came to America that people often associated her with an African stereotype that she did not fit. As she came to realize she also was subject to judging and stereotyping people. She says that when people only rely on a single story of a person that they narrow their view and often are quick to judge others. I thought many of the points she made were very true. If people did more research and were not relying on a single narrative they may understand the world a little bit better. Her points made me reflect on my life and that I think everyone could be better about judging others less and trying to understand cultures unlike their own.

Imaginary friends and real-word consequences- I found this video very interesting because it is a subject that I had never thought about. Even though I never thought about the effects of this I feel that it relates to me very much. As I started thinking about celebrities that I follow and see personal videos about. Even though I do not know those people I do have somewhat of a relationship with them. I found it even more interesting that even though we know that they are not real that we actually develop real relationships with. Women also seemed to be more effected by a character death than an acquaintance death. Thinking about my life I think that I am very connected to certain celebrities or characters. I don't think I would find it more upsetting for a character to die than an acquaintance in real life though.

This is the character that I felt connected do when they died on their tv show. Derek! Source: EW





The danger of a single story | Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Imaginary friends and real-world consequences: parasocial relationships | Jennifer Barnes 

Comments

  1. I agree with your conclusion. Like it's sad either way. However I think it's worse when you are tied into someone's (real or character) story it makes it feel like a harder impact than someone you don't really know much about. Perspective is everything, which is also weird if you think deeply about it. I hope you had a good semester, and good luck in the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brianna! I watched the same TED talk videos and I agree with your points. I had also never thought about the fact that imaginary characters can have such an impact on us. I remember watching the Grey's Anatomy episode when Derek dies and I remember being actually upset about it. It can be crazy how much fictional characters can impact our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the college mom

Diary of a Smelly Fish Woman week 6 story