Growth Mindset


See the source image
The growth mindset can be visualized as muscle getting stronger as you challenge you mind to take on tasks that are difficult (source: mindset rules)

Prior to watching these videos I had not heard of the growth mindset in such terms. I have always thought of education in terms of growth and that if you do not challenge yourself you will succeed at a much lower rate. However, the proposition of encouraging young children with the "not yet" concept intrigued me. As an adult in college now I think that challenging myself is a necessity to complete the career goals I have. I admit that taking on challenging classes is not something I do out of the enjoyment of learning. The feeling of completing a difficult class and knowing I overcame the struggles is worth it in the end.
When I think about the basis of growth mindset the only aspect of my life I may have put that into place is in the gym. The gym produces physical changes that are visually seen as growth and progress. If you take the easy way out you will never reach your goals or progress in the gym. Whether it is running or lifting weights both must be increased in difficulty in order to grow and see desired results.
Coming to college as a working mother I have had to overcome challenges I did not face as a young college student. I think of my kids as my motivation to show them that you can grow no matter where you are in life. Now that I have completed most of my 2000 level courses I have started to face more challenging classes in college. For the first time since the 6th grade (which was many ,many years ago) I did not receive a passing grade in a class. Listening to these videos on growth mindset made me realize I was one of those students in a fixed mindset. No student should ever feel like a failure just because they did not receive the grade they wanted "YET". I really will try to implement this positive mindset throughout this semester and try to enjoy the challenges ahead.  

Comments

  1. Hey Bri! I already commented on your Intro so I figured I'd pop over here and see some of your thoughts on the Growth Mindset. I like the connections you made, between the gym and also the balance between coursework and being a mother. I hope this mindset shift helps you as your classes get harder--I know they definitely served as a good reminder for me. At least you know that even if grades aren't what you want them to be, it means that you're learning more than you probably otherwise would have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the college mom

Diary of a Smelly Fish Woman week 6 story